Pages

18 June, 2009

DANGER, DANGER, EVERYWHERE!


"$20 or you'll never see him alive again!" The message and photo came yesterday. Today, I am happy to say, Gary Gopher has been rescued!

If you do not know this little guy, here is some background. He is the grandson of the gopher who starred in Caddy Shack, back in 1980. Gary tried the golf course life but it just wasn't for him. He wanted to see the world - from above ground. We met when he was seeking a position working with children. He has lived in my classroom for six years, while working as the Head Animal Guide. He helped take students on virtual tours of the world, as we studied geography. Most of his friends are 12 year olds, who are used to seeing him in his safari suit with backpack, but here you see him dressed for his next, and most important adventure ever - making Aliyah to Haifa, Israel.

In this photo, Gary is being held from the balcony railing outside a rental condo I own. I have been storing some things there while sorting and packing for the journey to Israel. Gary has been house-sitting the property. This building - Sea Castle Condominiums in Gulf Harbors - is supposed to be very secure. There is a fob system to get in the building, and each fob has its own id number so they can track who is coming and going. Also, there are security cameras. It just goes to show, Jews are not safe anywhere. I am making this point, because I am tired of hearing, "Israel!!? Aren't your worried that it is dangerous there?"

3 comments:

  1. What kind of a monster would do that? I guess only someone desperate...but for $20?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Amy: The 'monster' in question was my own son's girlfriend. I guess it is time to change the combination lock on the condo door because apparently just about anyone can get in the building. I hear the trick is to watch for one of the two daily UPS deliveries and walk in behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am glad that I will not have to worry about my mother's safety for much longer. It is nice to know you will be living in a country that knows the meaning of "security" soon!!!

    ReplyDelete