Pages

13 July, 2009

Life in a Battle Zone (aka More of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)






Don't be alarmed by the title of this post; Hezbollah has not attacked. And they might as well not bother; there is enough battling over land just between the Israelis. The issue isn't about whose land it is and who has the right to be there, but rather, whose land is better, and where new olim should settle.

I have met and/or talked electronically with people from Haifa proper, and people from the Qrayot (that group of suburbs across the bay - two of which, Haim and Shmuel, are actually part of Haifa, rather than separate townships). The good thing is that these people all are proud of their part of the world. The bad thing is that they have very little good to say about the neighborhoods across the bay. These people mean well when they tell new olim where they should settle; they are certain they know what is right for newcomers since they have found what is right for them. They, I am sure, are trying to save us new folk from the difficulties and mistakes they may have experienced.

Most conversations go something like this, "Even in this short time of talking to you, already I can tell that you will be happier if you chose to live in _____; it will be perfect for you. But whatever you do, don't let yoursef end up living in ______. I know it might sound like it would be alright, but it just isn't right for you. Trust me; I know what I am talking about."

Some people will even go so far as to make claims that aren't true. My hostess in my temporary abode told me there were no beaches in the Qrayot - just industrial areas by the water. (She wasn't lying to me; she really thought that was true.) I could be mistaken, but after growing up in Oregon, which is on the Pacific (that is the world's largest ocean, for anyone who is geographically challenged), and then living in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, I am thinking I probably know a beach when I see one, and I saw a gorgeous beach in Qiryat Haim.

To the chagrin of the Ahuzites (my word for people who live in the Ahuza neighborhood of Haifa) I am about 95% certain I am going to live in the Qrayot. If I do not live in the Qrayot, I will probably move out of the Haifa area entirely. Ahuza is the home of a very nice Masorti synagogue but I cannot handle the mountainous terrain of Haifa. It is lovely to look at, but if one is planning to go carless, it (excuse the expression) sucks! The 2.65 miles I walked to synagogue (one way) felt more like 8 miles due to all the steep streets. Over the course of Friday and Saturday services I made that walk three times. (I got a ride home on Friday.)

One good thing that came out of my recent hiking career, is that I finally understand those lyrics in country songs about grandparents who claim they walked long distances to school , uphill both ways. I always thought it was a joke, but now I know they lived in a pace like Haifa. I don't know how it ends up being uphill no matter where or which direction you are going, but it does. Trust me; I know what I'm talking about.

I said this would be more of the good, the bad, and the ugly, but really there is not any 'ugly' here. It is truly a beautiful area - no matter which side of the bay one is on. I just cannot fully enjoy the beauty when I am out of breath and panting as I try to make it to the top of the next ridge.

1 comment:

  1. funny! the ppl that love their area and hate the other reminds me of the joke about the man stranded on a deserted island, and builds 2 synagogues so he won't be seen in the other one...

    ReplyDelete